The University was founded in 1889 by general Stefan Falcoianu. It became the sixth staff school in Europe, after those in Berlin, Vienna, Paris, Turin, Brussels, initially under the name of "Superior War School". French, German and Soviet influences were felt along the years in this institution during the educational process.
"LABOR IMPROBUS OMNIA VINCIT" - "Great labour overcomes everything" has been the motto for the education of over 21.000 officers from all categories of armed forces since the founding of NDU until the present day.
The educational process in the National Defence University "Carol I" is complete and complex and is meant to consolidate the scientific instruments and the methodology needed in order to facilitate the use of principles and norms of military action and leadership at the joint, operational and strategic levels in time of peace, crisis and war.
National Defense University "Carol I", important institution of teaching, research and culture, offers many degree programs at several levels and forms of university education: doctoral programs, masters, undergraduate programs, open education majors distance, and other training courses
National Defense University "Carol I" is composed of the following faculties and departments:
- The Faculty of Command and Staff (F.C.S.M.)
- The Joint Operations, Strategic Studies and Security Department (D.O.I.S.S.S.)
- The department for management of the defence resources and education (D.M.M.P.P.D.)
- The Crisis Management and Multinational Operations Department (DMCOM)
- The Foreign Languages Center (C.L.S.)
- The Intelligence for Defence Department (D.I.Ap.)
- The Advanced Distributed Learning Department (D.I.D.A.D.)
- Regional Department of Defense Resources Management Studies (D.R.E.S.M.A.R.A.)
The role of NDU "Carol I"
- Training of leaders and experts (military and civilian) in the field of national defense and security.
- The elaboration of scientific studies requested by structures with responsibilities in the field of national defense and security (Presidency, Government, Supreme Council for National Defense, Parliament).
NDU "Carol I" missions
- Training of officers for JOINT and multinational operations;
- Training of military and civilian personnel for positions of command at superior levels;
- Training of commandants and general staff officers for the command of military operations;
- Political and military training of selected personnel;
- Master and PhD training in the field of Military Sciences;
- Development of postgraduate courses;
- Development of scientific research activities;
- Elaboration of national defense and security studies;
- Documentary, expertise and training support in the field of national defense and security;
- Development of cooperation with research and higher education institutions in Romania and abroad;
- Designing and developing of teaching logistics.
In the Ministry of Defense, the National Defense University "Carol I" is subordinated directly to the Minister of National Defense, but it also has connections with the Ministry of Education and Research and with all other central structures of The Ministry of Defense, such as the general staffs of all categories of forces, the Directorate of Management and Human Resources.
During the past years, the activities of international military cooperation organized by the National Defense University "Carol I" have had as a goal the development of relations with similar institutions all over the world in order to accelerate the reform of military education towards a new organizational conception.
After the Revolution of December 1989, there were numerous experience exchanges, participations in international exercises, symposiums, conferences, which gave us the possibility to improve our syllabus and a better mutual understanding, having as a final goal the alignment of higher military training in the National Defense University "Carol I" with similar institutions from countries that are already NATO members.
It is a great honor for us to mention that our institution was visited during the past years by several foreign military and civilian personalities, among which Manfred WORNER and Javier SOLANA, secretary generals of NATO, King HARALD V of Norway, prince Charles, ministers of defense and heads of staff from over 20 countries, commandants of defense universities and academies, members of foreign Parliaments and other foreign military and civilian personalities.
The National Defense University "Carol I" is a full-rights member of PfP Consortium of Defense Academies and Security Studies Institutes, having an active presence in the study groups and workshops of this international organization.